Monday, June 4, 2007

Welcome to 23 Things

Honore here: I am so excited that LATI is participating in the statewide Maryland Libraries Learning 2.0 - 23 Things project. We begin our 23 Things learning journey Thursday, June 7 and continue through September 6, 2007.
In the past couple years, web 2.0 read/write/talk sites - YouTube, Flickr, My Space, blogs, to mention a few -have sprouted up - and there's no end in sight. The video "Web 2.0...The Machine is Us/ing Us" (below - keep scrolling down) helps to explain the webolution that is taking place. Click on the PLAY arrow and watch away!

Getting Started
Since you're already registered with LATI, there's no need to register for 23 Things. However, if you have also registered with your system, please let me know. I will need to coordinate your participation with your system's liaison. So, please send me an email; thanks.

Incentives
When you complete this project, you will receive an incentive and a surprise. Watch the blog for an announcement.

Questions?
Please contact me, your liaison, about the project. Remember, I am not the instructor; we are all learning. You are encouraged to visit each other's blogs for ideas, tips and help with the web 2.0 technologies.

Thing 4 Details
Next Week - Week 2 - you'll set up your own blog. To complete Thing #4, you'll need to send me your blog address. Your blog is one way we'll track your progress - plus, your blog will also be added to the LATI Participants' blog list. Remember that your blog can be anonymous (to the public).

LATI Blog List
As you send in your blog addresses, I'll post them on this blog. Check this blog for the list of your LATI colleagues' blogs. To check out the blogs of your system colleagues, click on the Particpants link [on the right] and then select your system.

One Last Thought
Years ago, when I first started using a computer with a gui - graphical user interface - I, like everyone else, had to learn to manipulate the mouse. Stop and think back to your first few times using a mouse: remember how you always ran out of room on the mouse pad and/or lost the cursor? Well, I had a friend who'd gone to DisneyLand and she brought me a souvenir - a Mickey Mouse Hat. One day I decided that I would put on that hat everytime I sat at the computer and attempted to make that mouse move where I wanted it to go. It worked! Soon after I adopted my new strategy, I got the hang of moving the mouse. Now, I can't say that wearing the hat had anything to do with my success - however, I can tell you that I had a lot of fun in the process. And that is what I challenge you to do: Have Fun with 23 Things !

So, are you ready? Great. Fasten your seatbelts, click on the About link and let's take this exciting side-trip.

Cheers~



















No comments:

Web 2.0 ...The Machine is Us/ing Us